(Season 1) Ending Oct. 25
Aug. 30, 2022

The Importance of Background & Experience in Understanding Your Trucking Business - Michael Ritzema

In this episode, Michael Ritzema of Superior Trucking Payroll Service joins the show. Michael started Superior Trucking Payroll Service in 1995 because they couldn't find someone in the payroll sector who knew enough about trucking to assist them. Superior Trucking Payroll Service helps drivers save money on payroll by constantly researching best practices in the trucking business, and we serve clients across the country. Today, Michael talks about the importance of having a wide range of backgrounds and experiences to rapidly understand what's happening behind any firm and come up with a solution that's right for them.


About the Guest

[04:15]

Michael has been married for 22 years and has two daughters. He attended Michigan State University, graduated with a bachelor's degree in accounting, and earned an MBA from Grand Valley State University in Michigan. Spending time with his family and traveling to various locations make him happy in life.

About the business

[05:57]

In 2000, he began trucking as a temporary job for a trucking firm in their financial department. In that role, he witnessed the payroll process and noticed that the national payroll providers did not fully grasp the trucking industry.

[12:10]

Superior Trucking Payroll Service provides trucking companies with payroll services. Approximately 98% of their clients are trucking firms, and the other 2% are their attorneys and financial advisors. Michael's company is primarily focused on the transportation industry.

[20:23]

The company's mission is to be helpful to trucking families. Thus, Michaels provides information about the company on their website and blog to help people decide if the company is a good fit for the client.

Mindsets Against Challenges

[16:08]

When he founded his company, Michael knew what he wanted to accomplish: provide trucking companies with a more comprehensive payroll solution. He supported building mindsets in his organization that employees and candidates should have to join his company.

Motivation

[33:48]

Michael enjoys sports, but sports does not like him. However, he keeps pushing himself; this is the same action he does at his firm, where Michael increases the gap from before, improving the service he offers to his clients. His motivation is to build a reputation for his company and make it known in the trucking sector.

Starting Entrepreneurship

[38:53]

While growing up, Michael had aspirations of being an astronaut, a police officer, or a baseball player, none of which included becoming a business owner. "There are always markets for any niche; you simply have to perform better," his grandfather taught Michael as he operated multiple enterprises. When Michael became an entrepreneur, he realized that it was a never-ending process of learning and improvement.

Profitability and Cash Flow

[43:10]

Many trucking conferences are either for Mega carriers or are about safety. However, Michael sees a need for small trucking enterprises in terms of profitability and cash flow.

The Trucking Entrepreneurs Podcast

Michael Ritzema Profile Photo

Michael Ritzema

President and Founder

With over 20 years of experience in entrepreneurship, management, business planning, financial analysis, software engineering, operations, and decision analysis, Mike has the breadth and depth of experience needed to quickly understand entrepreneurs’ businesses and craft the most suitable solutions.

Before founding Superior Trucking Payroll Service, Mike was the CFO of a trucking company with 80 trucks and a thriving brokerage. This experience gave him the perspective that a payroll solution has to make the lives of the office people better. All the solutions he has designed are to benefit everyone. Our company mission is to help trucking families and that includes the company owners, the drivers, and the office.